" People also respond negatively to the word "welfare" but show much more support when the term is re-phrased as "support for the poor," or something similar like that."

Denial of being a part of the welfare system and undercover acceptance almost always accompany the word "welfare". Growing up, I would always hear adults from my culture say how they would never go on welfare due to the view of others: no life and being broke or poor. What I've learned from conversations is that the same people who talk negatively or show no support on the program are the very same people on welfare and truth be told they would rather be on the program for as long as possible because it's a support system. It helps them be the help meet needed for the family. 

I grew up with this same mentality until I hit rock bottom and had to resort to requesting help from the system. Even then, it took everything out of me to find myself at an office that offers help. Out of fear of seeing someone I already know, I found an office that was out of my area or district. I remember my first time going to the office. There was a fear that came over me; without thinking, I immediately wanted to hide my face from every individual I saw in that room because I was afraid that I would see someone I know. To avoid any kind of contact with anyone, I would put my headphone in and stand by the side - away from everyone. 

After going through the whole process of fingerprinting, interview, photograph for identification card, I was okay with being a recipient of "welfare". I became more comfortable with the term when everything I applied for came on a card or through the mail. I saw how I was being helped and in return, my needs were met. I was no longer uncomfortable with the term " being on welfare". It didn't matter to me what term was used. I applied because I needed help desperately. 

Looking back, it was nothing but pride. My thoughts should have been more focused on looking for help and realizing that everyone in that room was there because they too needed help. For me, it doesn't matter what word is used because help is help, especially when it's really needed and granted. 

Should it matter how a word is term? 

Comments

  1. The term "welfare:" had alway been used in a negative way, which causes shame to the individual. When i was growing up, my mother received welfare because she needed help with the rent, food, and bills. My mother was a single parent trying to make ends meet. The welfare system was created to help the individual or families who were unable to support themselves. i grew up like you, many individuals won't admit they were on welfare..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog